Summer FLAS fellowships, authorized under Title VI of the Higher Education Act and administed by the US Department of Education, provide grantees up to $5,000 in tuition for a summer language program (in the US or abroad) and a $2,500 stipend for living and travel expenses. The fellowships are intended for intensive, advanced language study of REEES languages, which include Russian, Ukrainian, Serbo-Croatian, Polish, Hungarian, Czech Uzbek, Tajik, Albanian, Azerbaijani, Turkmen, Kazakh, Georgian, Slovak, Bulgarian, Armenian, Romanian, and Turkish.
Priority is given to language study at the intermediate or advanced levels, although in some circumstances, a beginning level is permitted for study in the US. A FLAS fellowship may not be used for beginning language study abroad unless there is no program in that language in the US. A fellowship holder may receive additional outside support for travel and living expenses, but FLAS support of tuition will be reduced by the amount of any outside funding support of tuition.
To be considered for a Stanford Summer FLAS Fellowship in REEES languages, an applicant must:
- Be a currently registered Stanford graduate student (or recently admitted) who will take a REEES language instruction course during the grant term
- Be a US citizen or permanent resident
Summer language programs must:
- Attempt to offer in one summer the equivalent of a full academic year of language study
- Be a minimum of 6 weeks in duration, but preferably longer
- Offer a minimum of 120 contact hours of instruction at intermediate or advanced levels.
Please note that The US Department of Education does not publish a list of eligible language programs. The applicant should look for programs that meet the above criteria and email CREEES with questions.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications for Summer 2017 are closed.
A complete Summer FLAS fellowship application must include the following:
- Summer 2017 FLAS application webform.
- Statement of purpose.
- An unofficial transcript (recently admitted students need not submit transcripts as they are already included in their portfolios on file).
- One letter of recommendation from a faculty advisor.
Applications should be submitted electronically via webform.
Email us @ CREEES.