Truth Hounds: Prosecuting Atrocity Crimes in Ukraine
Center for Human Rights and International Justice
615 Crothers Way, Stanford, CA 94305
Ever since Russia launched a full-scale aggression against Ukraine in February 2022, reports of large-scale destruction and allegations of mass atrocity crimes in the areas under Russian control and deoccupied regions of Ukraine have captured global attention. Ukrainian leaders, civil society, and survivors have been emphasizing the need for justice in their speeches. The US, EU, and UK have provided unprecedented support to strengthen Ukraine's capacity for prosecuting and adjudicating atrocity crimes. One and a half years into the large-scale war, it is time to assess achievements and plan future steps toward justice for Ukraine, and to consider what the lessons Ukraine’s experience offers the world with respect to accountability, the fight against impunity and the prevention of mass atrocities. In this panel, the speakers will address the following issues:
- Domestic prosecution and adjudication of war crimes, the crime of aggression and genocide: Why does it matter how to qualify atrocity crimes in Ukraine?
- Interaction and cooperation of different stakeholders involved in the investigation and prosecution of atrocity crimes in Ukraine: Too many cooks in the kitchen or collective synergies in advancing the accountability agenda for atrocity crimes?
- How to make the best use of international advisory & legal assistance? The pros and cons of the deployment of various international advisory missions to Ukraine with overlapping mandates.
- Are we witnessing the shrinking space for non-governmental organizations involved in atrocity crimes documentation work?
- How to integrate a victim-centered approach to justice in the Ukrainian legal system and what accountability avenues are best suited to provide redress for victims of atrocity crimes?
Roman Avramenko, Executive Director, Truth Hounds NGO
Antonia David, Legal Program Manager, The Docket, Clooney Foundation for Justice
Dmytro Koval, Legal Director, Truth Hounds NGO
Iryna Marchuk, Associate Professor of International and Criminal Law, University of Copenhagen
Svitlana Valko, Head of the Board, Truth Hounds NGO